Foot Pain: A Fashion Faux PasMonday, June 2nd, 2014, 12:23 pm
Fashion can have a grave influence on women’s foot health. Orthopedists understand that women aren’t going to give up their pumps for cross-trainers any time soon, but there are some changes you can make to your fancy footwear that will lessen the horror high heels can create for your feet.
Dr. Watson appeared on Fox 5 News in a segment called, “High Heel Hassles,” where he made some key points about making smarter, healthier choices when it comes to high heels.
- Limit heel height to 2-3 inches. The lower the heel the lesser the weight will be shifted into areas of your feel not designed for tremendous weight bearing.
- Wider heels provide for better stability. Wedges are perfect for stability, still fashionable and often come in vibrant and open-toe styles for spring and summer.
- Foldable flats to keep in your purse when traveling to and from locations are a great way to give your feel some rest from the pressures high heels create.
- Padding and insoles are essential. For as little as $10, you can get insoles to help add support and cushion stressed areas of the foot, like the heel or ball.
- Watch the “pitch” of the heel. Sky scraping heels that have a tremendous arch will create more pain. Heels with a platform have less of a differential between the toe and heel, which puts less pressure on the toes.
Along with these tips, it is important to find heels that are a good fit. If they are too tight or too loose, problems such as bunions, corns, calluses, ingrown toenails, and hammertoes may appear.
Foot Care Treatment in Las Vegas
To learn more about common foot problems and treatments associated with improper footwear, or any other services we offer, contact us today to schedule an appointment. We are located in Las Vegas, Henderson, and North Las Vegas, we can be reached at (702) 731-1616. We look forward to hearing from you.